POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Reflection bluring : Re: Reflection bluring Server Time
4 Sep 2024 20:12:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Reflection bluring
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 18 Aug 2002 05:37:38
Message: <3d5f6ae2@news.povray.org>
The important part about the texture is to
have same pigment and finish, but varying
normals. This is most easily done by translating
the normal for every sample using:

#declare R=seed(1);
#declare Random_Vector=<rand(R),rand(R),rand(R)>*Magnifier;

Specify an amount of samples:
#declare Blur_Samples=20;

And use the following code:

texture{
 average texture_map{
#declare Sample_Counter=0;
#while (Sample_Counter<Blur_Samples)
[ 1 pigment{Some_Pigment}
    normal{bozo .2 scale .3 translate Random_Vector}
    finish{Some_Finish}
]
#declare Sample_Counter=Sample_Counter+1;
#end
}
}

This should work fine. What it does it average the
textures, and since pigment and finish are always the same,
those aren't changed, but for every sample POV-Ray
calculates a new reflection based on the normal-map,
since that one changes for every sample, you get
a lot of different reflections, which are averaged.

Note that averaging just normals won't work, as POV-Ray
will then average the normal_map, and won't calculate
reflections for those.

Ask if you have questions...

Tim

--