POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Mathmatics help (sortof) : Mathmatics help (sortof) Server Time
4 Sep 2024 20:18:32 EDT (-0400)
  Mathmatics help (sortof)
From: Rob Brown-Bayliss
Date: 18 Aug 2002 02:32:34
Message: <3d5f3f82@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I am having trouble with mathss, now I know this isn't a maths group, so
ill explain my problem and pray for forgivness..

I have a cylinder object, its verticle like a tower, then rotated (tilted
like the tower of pisa) 15 degrees.

I want to place a series of windows around the tower, but so that they
appear paralel to the ground plane.  These windows are cutouts.

The easy part is making each window vertical, by simply rotating it as I
place them.  But the hard part (for me) is working out the shape or size
of the elipse that a level floor would be...

Am I being clear?  Even though it's a cylinder, because it's tilted the
floor isnotacircle, so I need torotate the windows around an elipse...

I can easily cut holes, but I want to place features on the cylinder
surface.

Were do I begin?

Thanks