POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Sampled Blob Box : Re: Sampled Blob Box Server Time
15 Aug 2024 02:24:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sampled Blob Box
From: Andrew Cocker
Date: 17 Aug 2002 18:19:55
Message: <3d5ecc0b$1@news.povray.org>
"Marc-Hendrik Bremer" <Mar### [at] t-onlinede> wrote in message
> You really should try ABX's suggestion using functions. The way you use
> (with eval_pigment) bears much overhead for what you want. You only need the
> pattern and you can get that by using a function.

Thankyou for telling me to use ABX's suggestion... I wouldn't have experimented
further since
I had got it to work OK, and I am somewhat scared of using functions, as I don't
really
understand them, but I've just modified my code to sample a bozo function, and the
difference
is incredible!! Parse time has gone from 57 seconds to just 1 second!!

Thanks again. ;-)

> I like your idea and hope you'll get somewhere. However, I fear it's quite
> memory intensive to have all the blades of a grass plane as extra shapes
> (without copying patches), I hope, I'm wrong.

Yes, I think so too, but I just wanted to see if I could get it to work. It may well
end up
being effectively unusable due to memory overheads though. Actually, thinking about
it, you
could sample once per area of grass, rather than patch, which might still end up
looking ok.

All the best,

Andy Cocker