POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Iced Land #5 (became a WIP again) : Re: Iced Land #5 (became a WIP again) Server Time
15 Aug 2024 08:26:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Iced Land #5 (became a WIP again)
From: John D  Gwinner
Date: 12 Aug 2002 18:55:41
Message: <3d583ced$1@news.povray.org>
"hughes b" <omn### [at] charternet> wrote in message
> I'm sure all those links are meant for Tim more than me :-)

Exactly - although your post:

>>Someone said before how the snow seems more like desert sand dunes than
desert snow dunes and I can't get that out of my mind still. It's the tinge
of red still in there that does it, <<

is what made me think about it, so it was sort of in response to that.
Sorry for the non-sequitur!

> The first link has a picture with nearly the same sunlight and shadow
angle
> shown on Tim's igloo.
> http://www.grandshelters.com/images/igloo-sunset-1-s2.jpg
> There's a bit of photography versus reality trouble here though, I think
in
> person you would percieve a lighter bluer shadow, but only the photography
> knows that to be true or false.

True.  The other funny thing is that as it's getting dim, but the sun has
the potential for a lot of glare, the blue looks like it's "glowing".

> The 6th link shows a moody kind of photo which would be nice to render
too.
> What I like about the Iced Land is how the sky wins out over the
landscape.
> Like you would rather be flying up and away from there rather than going
> into that igloo. I'd worry a interesting landscape would ruin that
feeling.

That's a good point - and that's the evocative part of the scene in fact,
which is why the composition is good.

                  == John ==