POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Another 3.5 speed issue? : Re: Another 3.5 speed issue? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:28:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another 3.5 speed issue?
From: Micha Riser
Date: 12 Aug 2002 16:52:34
Message: <3d582011@news.povray.org>
Mark M. Wilson wrote:

> Roz wrote:
>>
>  Just extract a prebuilt binary into its own directory and
>> run it from there with './povray [options] [scene-file]' (no quotes).
>>

> Ugh, would I always have to run it from its own directory?

No, you can also specify the ful path e.g. if you have unpacked it into
/home/testuser/thisdirectory/ then call it with
/home/testuser/thisdirectory/povray

> I suppose
> adding said dir. would be too confusing, assuming I hadn't uninstalled
> the other binary, and that's the reason?

You could just copy it into a directory that is already in your path, e.g.
/usr/local/bin/. But don't call it 'povray' then when you want to keep the
original. My new binaries have different names anyways (like
povray.pentium3) so there will be no problem.

> Am I correct in thinking that the new on the POV-Ray site is a "revised"
> 3.5?

Yes, the new official binary is faster but still quite a bit slower than
mines. A quick test on chess2.pov gave:

        old official binary: 181s
        new official binary: 134s
        my generic-pentium binary: 109s