POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Return to PoVghanistan - smooth HF bug in 3.5? (6 x JPG 800 x 600, 180 KB) : Re: Return to PoVghanistan - smooth HF bug in 3.5? (6 x JPG 800 x 600, 180 KB) Server Time
15 Aug 2024 02:25:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Return to PoVghanistan - smooth HF bug in 3.5? (6 x JPG 800 x 600, 180 KB)
From: Marc-Hendrik Bremer
Date: 10 Aug 2002 12:01:22
Message: <3d5538d2@news.povray.org>

news:3D553C59.7D7659C6@tiscalinet.de...
> Instead, as you see in the images attached here, whenever I used
> "smooth" with the HF, strange shadows appeared where no shadows should
> be at all... without "smooth" they disappear (see images with a 'b' in
> their filename).

This seems to be the known bug with smooth heightfields. Try
"double_illuminate" with the Hf, this should remove the black spots. If this
does not work, you may want to try to make an Isosurface out of your
image_map. This might be to slow (depends on the necessary max_gradient),
but IIRC there are no such problems wih isosurfaces. Interpolate the
image_map by "interpolate 4" (I think method 2 does not work well in this
context). This should remove those black-spot-artefactlines, too.

In it's current state, your afganistan does not look at all as pre-war, to
the opposite it looks like same nukeular-war :-) BTW, are you sure you got
the scale right? I can't imagine any reasonabele scaled buildings and people
in conjunction with those hills/mountains.

I hope, you'll achieve what you are trying!

Regards,

Marc-Hendrik