POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Compiling 3.5 source for Solaris 5.8 / 8 : Re: Compiling 3.5 source for Solaris 5.8 / 8 Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:26:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compiling 3.5 source for Solaris 5.8 / 8
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 9 Aug 2002 15:41:55
Message: <3d541b03@news.povray.org>
In article <3d49e4d4@news.povray.org> , Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>  wrote:

>   I doubt that *compiling* things in Windows is any easer than in Unix.

I think compiling POV-Ray in general is not easy for non-professional
programmers.  I think the little note I wrote (based on some other/older
notes plus my own additions) for the Mac version of the source code is very
valid for the Unix and Windows platforms as well - except for the references
to specific tools of course ;-)

This is a little intro to get you started compiling POV-Ray for Mac OS.  Let
us first remind you that the POV-Team does not provide support compiling or
understanding the source code.  We do not recommend compiling the source
code on your own unless you have substancial knowledge of C and C++
programming.  You will further need experience building large multi-file,
multi-library projects with the compiler you use (most likely Metrowerks
CodeWarrior).  If you do not have this knowledge, attempts to build POV-Ray
will be a very frustrating experience.  In general there is no need to
compile POV-Ray on your own; the compiled and tested versions are available
for download at www.povray.org.

Now, if you still want to continue, this file is just a guide to get you
started.  It is by no means complete, and you may run into problems with
your individual configuration.  This is in particular the case if you are
using a newer version of the tools we used at the time we prepared the
source code archive.
<<<

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany