POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : newbie trying to create a filament for an incandescent light bulb : Re: newbie trying to create a filament for an incandescent light bulb Server Time
4 Sep 2024 20:18:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: newbie trying to create a filament for an incandescent light bulb
From: Rod Reed
Date: 7 Aug 2002 21:19:12
Message: <3d51c710@news.povray.org>

> I've never done this specifically, but I had a similar problem when
> looks_like was added.
>
> The problem here is actually mental.  You're thinking that your light
> source should look like the cylinder AND glow.  It won't just by
> specifying looks_like.  Remember that a light source isn't visible by
> itself, so what you get is what looks like a normal cylinder that
> casts light, but doesn't glow.  You will need to experiment around
> with a fairly hihg ambient on the cylinder to get it too look right,
> then try some media effects inside the bulb portion to add that 'glow
> effect' to the filament.
>
> - Tim

Thanks Tim,
 You were right about the problem, I was taking looks_like to mean it would
look like the object. Pretty silly assumption when it comes to computer
programming :-). You're advice on ambient has worked nicely after changing
the pigment back to white, thanks. I think it was black before when I had
white pigment because the outside of the cylinder had no incident light
since the light source was shining from inside the cylinder, maybe anyway.
Rod
PS sorry about the reply to you directly, hit the wrong button on the tool
bar,  I hope it's not a problem.