POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : First Post: Crystal Ball : Re: First Post: Crystal Ball Server Time
15 Aug 2024 04:26:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: First Post: Crystal Ball
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 6 Aug 2002 16:39:19
Message: <3d5033f7@news.povray.org>
> I hate really slow renders. :-( I think anything longer than 5 minutes is
> too slow (my slowest render so far was 1.5 hours, and that had a very
large
> max_trace_level).

I've made an image once, which didn't use fancy
reflections/refractions, or required a very high trace-level,
nontheless, it needed over 120 hours to trace (and
photons + radiosity + meshes were precalculated, so
120 hours includes only about 20 minutes parsing/loading of
meshes, no photon/radiosity calculations).

If you're interested, the image can be found on my homepage,
in the Past Projects section...

But really: you need to get used to long render times, otherwise,
you'll have some difficulties using POV to its full extent, and
I think it just IS awesome.
Just wait, some day, ILM will use POV-Ray to trace their images...

Regards,

Tim

--
Tim Nikias