POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Group animation project proposal : Re: Group animation project proposal Server Time
25 Jul 2024 18:30:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Group animation project proposal
From: Philippe Lhoste
Date: 5 Aug 2002 08:33:48
Message: <3d4e70ac@news.povray.org>

3d4d9374@news.povray.org...

> web.3d4cf5d19fdfa9aa2c120f590@news.povray.org...
> > If the project is being done for free and by the public, who are the
> > publishers going to sue? Everyone who has ever read the books?
>
> While there's certainly a grey zone when it comes to fan fiction, hot
> properties like this are very closely guarded. To take an example I've
read
> about, Anne McAffrey (writer of the Dragonriders of Pern series)
encourages
> fan fiction, provided it doesn't use characters and situations from the
> books. This is not to take lightly : very recently, in France, the family
of
> Saint-Exupery sent their lawyers (or threatened to do so) to a school that
> wanted to make a local, but unauthorised, stage production of The Little
> Prince with kids as actors. As outrageous as it seemed, they were in their
> full right apparently.
> And we're not talking about a billion-dollar franchise like Harry
Potter...

I have read that Disney forced a kindergarden to destroy a fresco showing
Disney characters (Goofy, Mickey, etc.).
Urban legend or reality, I don't know, but I believe it could be true...
Perhaps they have softened their policy now, as a matter of public relation.

BTW, once the project is completed, I guess Harry Potter will be in public
domain anyway :-)
But releasing peek preview is another matter...

Regards.

Philippe Lhoste (Paris -- France)
http://jove.prohosting.com/~philho/