POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Group animation project proposal : Re: Group animation project proposal Server Time
25 Jul 2024 18:21:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Group animation project proposal
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 4 Aug 2002 16:49:56
Message: <3d4d9374@news.povray.org>

web.3d4cf5d19fdfa9aa2c120f590@news.povray.org...
> If the project is being done for free and by the public, who are the
> publishers going to sue? Everyone who has ever read the books?

While there's certainly a grey zone when it comes to fan fiction, hot
properties like this are very closely guarded. To take an example I've read
about, Anne McAffrey (writer of the Dragonriders of Pern series) encourages
fan fiction, provided it doesn't use characters and situations from the
books. This is not to take lightly : very recently, in France, the family of
Saint-Exupery sent their lawyers (or threatened to do so) to a school that
wanted to make a local, but unauthorised, stage production of The Little
Prince with kids as actors. As outrageous as it seemed, they were in their
full right apparently.
And we're not talking about a billion-dollar franchise like Harry Potter...

G.

--
http://www.oyonale.com