POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Media Tutorial? : Re: Media Tutorial? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 22:14:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Media Tutorial?
From: hughes b
Date: 3 Aug 2002 22:57:49
Message: <3d4c982d@news.povray.org>
"John Vodden" <jav### [at] gmxcouk> wrote in message

> Does anyone know of any decent tutorials into the use of media (unless
I've
> missed something the tutorials in the docs doesn't cover this)? I've used
> emitting media in the past for a candle and it seemed quite effective but
> I'm now interested in the use of scattering media. I tried making a sphere
> containing media around a light source (which appears to be a fairly
> standard technique) but I ended up (6 hours 2 minutes and 34 seconds
later)

I'm without the IE Favorites I had amassed over time but you might get some
insight by looking over a page about "realistic water" at
http://www-public.tu-bs.de:8080/~y0013390/raytracing.html

Thing about media is that it varies so much when used in different ways, not
easy to apply it in one way for all uses. Object media is one way,
atmosphere is another. I'd say you went with the latter and filled a room
with it or at least a larger area around a light_source. Either that or you
have a PC like I had so many years ago and everything is slow. Just kidding.

In version 3.5, if you are now using that, you should be letting intervals
alone usually. Media doesn't require intervals 10 like it did in v3.1. In
fact I get fairly good results by leaving out all the sampling parameters so
everything is default, unless the media has artifacts. You could also use
either of the three methods, 'method 2' being faster usually.

Remember that you can always try one of the demo scene files
(scenes\advanced\interior\) to see how the media is applied and how it
looks, tweaking on stuff as you go along. If I recall correctly, the files
named hollow will show object examples and the ones named media show
atmospheric.