POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Pentium 3 optimized binary : Re: Pentium 3 optimized binary Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:15:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pentium 3 optimized binary
From: Micha Riser
Date: 3 Aug 2002 17:37:57
Message: <3d4c4d35@news.povray.org>
Christopher James Huff wrote:

> So it will only help operations on arrays then...seems like a stupid
> limitation. There isn't some compiler directive that could tell it what
> can be optimized?

SIMD only work on contignous blocks of memory.. so you're likely to use
arrays when the're useful.

> With a modern compiler, I wouldn't expect it to be much slower, but how
> could you get any improvement? The SIMD instructions can't handle double
> precision math as far as I know...they would help colors, but not
> vectors.

Yes, SSE can help for colour calculations. With it you can do operations on
4 floats simutanously. But SSE2 (which pentium4 and 64-bit AMD support)
will work on double precision! That's why I am looking for someone with a
pentium4...

- Micha

--
http://objects.povworld.org - the POV-Ray Objects Collection