POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Compiling 3.5 on RH7.2 : Re: Compiling 3.5 on RH7.2 Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:25:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compiling 3.5 on RH7.2
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 3 Aug 2002 16:53:15
Message: <3d4c42ba@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>   I am wondering if it's a good idea to keep such slow version of povray
> for linux in www.povray.org if even gcc2 can do such good job at
> optimizing.
>   By the way, how is it possible that the official version is so slow? Was
> it compiled with no optimizations at all?-o

 Only -O2... but I think what make the great difference is using specific
-mcpu and -march. Perhaps for the official distribution -O3 can be used,
but not much more can be done, I think, except encouraging to compile the
sources for your rendering palataform, perhaps with recommended flags. It's
not that difficult at all: I myself have done it and I've no knowledge
about c, c++, compilers and optimization.

--
Jaime Vives Piqueres

La Persistencia de la Ignorancia
http://www.ignorancia.org