POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Povray's Niche : Re: Povray's Niche Server Time
4 Sep 2024 22:12:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Povray's Niche
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 3 Aug 2002 04:57:07
Message: <3d4b9ae3@news.povray.org>

dcjlkus5pqib9qki580u4062matoh3atbl@4ax.com...
> watching can be considered as type of meditation

I once stayed an hour in front of the screen watching the render progress.
After a while people started poking me in the ribs because they thought I
was dead.
It's certainly a mystical experience, but it's bad for private life.

> I agree about import but is script export so important ? so often repeated
> 'POV is raytracer not modeler' suggest the way how files should flow :-)

I don't think that's important either for today's Povray users, but I can
see that in a production environment people could be interested in Povray's
scripting abilities and still want to be able to render the created scene in
another app.

> > - no native support for advanced shading, like cell shading or
subsurface
> >   scattering.
> I hope there is some knowledge in community and we can wait for some
patches
> around it.
The problem with the current implementation is that it's done by adding
features and therefore it tends to create a bloated SDL with lots of more or
less stable and meaningful keywords, as we've seen in Megapov. I really
liked Vahur Krouverk's Povman and its implementation of Renderman shaders
because it opens lots of opportunities, even though writing shaders is
definitely something for programmers. Now, in 3.5, we have uvmapping and the
possibility of tweaking functions to create patterns, but the manipulation
of finish and interior properties has limitations that still make difficult
the rendering of common real-life effects, such as blurred translucency.
This question would be better solved by a shader approach than by adding
keywords... particularly since there are many shaders already available.

G.