POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Compiling 3.5 source for Solaris 5.8 / 8 : Re: Compiling 3.5 source for Solaris 5.8 / 8 Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:25:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compiling 3.5 source for Solaris 5.8 / 8
From: Micha Riser
Date: 3 Aug 2002 04:01:30
Message: <3d4b8dd9@news.povray.org>
Mark Gordon wrote:

> On Thu, 01 Aug 2002 18:58:13 -0400, Micha Riser wrote:
>
>> I see quite some work has been done with unix source, the configure and
>> so. It would be nice to pass optimization flags to configure. Any
>> possibility to build a version with x11 support only (which would be a
>> bit smaller)?
>
> A binary? I can look into that.  I plan to add a bunch more options to
> configure.

I just wondered why the binary had to be 6MB big when the 3.1 was only
around 1MB. I see now this comes mainly from the '-static' flag for the
compiler. Without it is only around 1.5MB. Also the 6MB can be reduced to
about 3MB when using '-static -s'.

Am I wrong or would the binary (with '-static' compilation) get smaller
when you remove support for vga and svga?

- Micha

--
http://objects.povworld.org - the POV-Ray Objects Collection