POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : WIP Grass/Vegetation/Loneliness : Re: WIP Grass/Vegetation/Loneliness Server Time
15 Aug 2024 04:28:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: WIP Grass/Vegetation/Loneliness
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 29 Jul 2002 11:35:40
Message: <3d4560cc@news.povray.org>
As for the water surface, Marc explained it pretty well.
The camera is slightly tilted in position, the horizon isn't
where you actually expect it to be, cause the heightfield
doesn't give a good measure for that.

As for your script: I have checked it. It does a nice and
quick job, but I don't think I can use it in the manner I'd
like to use it.
For one, I don't know much about functions. I do want
to get to them some time soon, but I've got a lot of
unfinished stuff floating around which I want to attack
before moving onward.
For another, I don't know how I could apply this to a
heightfield. The main thing I do is check the slope and
height-differences of the nearby vicinity by sampling some
trace() onto the heightfield. The data is checked against
some user-specified settings, and determines if the position
is valid.
Then, I sort the positions into grids and check for intersections
by testing the new position against the former ones.

Now, I guess if I'd involve more brain, I could get all that
to work with functions SOMEHOW. Still, I need to keep
track of positions, cause they may be altered later on using
various other macros (like deleting positions below or above
a certain height, or, if I'd assume each position is actually a
disc-object, to resample the position in order to place the
disc just underneath the heightfield, the main reason for this
is the grass, the blades lie on a disc, and I'd have floating
blades if I wouldn't do so). Other macros will involve
combining objects of different radius etc.

And, though you mentioned smart scripting would make the
recursion limit go higher, I placed 120.000 non-intersecting
spheres in a test-scene, and I have no clue on how I could
smart-script your code (there goes my function inability again).

I do thank you for your feedback and attempt, but its above
my level of POV-knowledge as well as, as far as I know, not
suitable for the job.
Which reminds me: if I'd want to do an animation, I'd have to
output the positions nontheless, and re-process (e.g.
load them into the function) for every frame again, right?

I hope your not too sad about all this...

Regards,

Tim

--
Tim Nikias