POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : height fields and annoying white spots : Re: height fields and annoying white spots Server Time
15 Aug 2024 08:27:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: height fields and annoying white spots
From: hughes b
Date: 27 Jul 2002 20:00:38
Message: <3d433426$1@news.povray.org>
Hey there, Matthew.

Well, I didn't have any luck when I went to check this out. I even tried
making your bmp file into a png, output as hf_gray_16 with orthographic
camera to try and get the best possible heightfield. Same thing really, a
little different but same bad result.
Reason?: it's a 256 color, 8 bits/pixel image file. At least that would be
my guess as to why it doesn't smooth well enough. The normals on the surface
of the HF could be another matter, however when I create a hf_gray_16 output
using pigment {granite} and use it instead things are fine. Only scale
matters then as to how pixellated the result is, the normals appear fine.

Bob