POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : POV 3.5 Won't open Unix files? : Re: POV 3.5 Won't open Unix files? Server Time
18 May 2024 08:32:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV 3.5 Won't open Unix files?
From: Wolfgang Thaller
Date: 26 Jul 2002 17:50:11
Message: <3d41c413$1@news.povray.org>
"Thorsten Froehlich" <tho### [at] trfde> wrote:> In article <jerry-

> No, all files should be properly receive file and creator codes just as
they
> did for the past 18 years on System 1 to Mac OS 9.2.2.  If they don't,
Apple
> has still not fixed this ancient Mac OS X bug :-(

This was a deliberate design decision - a questionable one, but not a bug.
We just have to cope with the fact that if a file has a blank type code, we
have to take a look at the extension (and I think that's what POV-Ray should
do...).
I can't think of how Apple would "fix" that "bug": making all Unix tools
correctly set the file type would require the extension-filetype mapping
logic to be included in the kernel [where it definitely doesn't belong,
IMHO]...

Anyway, it should be easy to "fix" that in the POV-Ray code (and that would
also be a benefit for OS 9 users with badly configured file exchange
software). I consider it absolutely necessary for an OS X application (among
other things wich I'll refrain from discussing until I've had a look at the
source code... mostly menu layout/threading/display).

Cheers,

Wolfgang