POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : well [49.7kb] : Re: well [49.7kb] Server Time
15 Aug 2024 12:19:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: well [49.7kb]
From: Marc-Hendrik Bremer
Date: 26 Jul 2002 13:23:04
Message: <3d418578@news.povray.org>
"Alessandro Morelli" <ale### [at] alphacit> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> They're up for grabbers on http://www.alphac.it/pov

This is interesting stuff. I would love to see that stone wall generation
method implemented on an isosurface basis, but I don't know if my
programming skills are up to it. If I get it right, it would be only
necessary to implement point 1 to 3 of their method, i.e. the generation and
deformation of the joint pattern and the pathfinding for the stone. Those
paths could probably be used to define some functions which would define an
isosurface (how do I do this? Splines perhaps?). The third dimension could
be implemented with some additional function (like some pattern-function).
The time consuming subdivision-process is not necessary then. Neither their
clipping (which could be done by scaling or some threshold value).

The disadvantage is clear - rendertimes will be quite high. They might be
bearable for smaller walls. Memory usage should be reasonable.

Comments?

Marc-Hendrik