POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Question - Tip on Photon : collect off for glass & target : Re: Question - Tip on Photon : collect off for glass & target Server Time
4 Sep 2024 22:13:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Question - Tip on Photon : collect off for glass & target
From: Tom Melly
Date: 25 Jul 2002 04:59:28
Message: <3d3fbdf0@news.povray.org>
"Tom Melly" <tom### [at] tomandlucouk> wrote in message

<snip>

BTW I tried adding "collect off" to the glass objects in the sample scene, but
it initially resulted in appalling artifacts, although rendered very quickly.

Changing the spacing to 0.01 (was 0.02) slowed things down a bit, but the
artifacts went away and it was still a lot faster than the original version.

The differences between the default scene and the "collect off, spacing 0.02"
version were minimal (some highlights on the glass were lost, predictably
enough)

Here are the times (approx.)

The Original version 11m 38s (collect on for glass objects, spacing 0.02)
Bad-Artifact version 0m 26s (collect off for glass objects, spacing 0.02)
Non-Artifact version 1m 40s (collect off for glass objects, spacing 0.01)

I'm mystified as to why turning collect off on the glass objects suddenly
results in such bad artifacts....