POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Question - Tip on Photon : collect off for glass & target : Re: Question - Tip on Photon : collect off for glass & target Server Time
4 Sep 2024 22:16:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Question - Tip on Photon : collect off for glass & target
From: Tom Melly
Date: 25 Jul 2002 04:33:01
Message: <3d3fb7bd@news.povray.org>
"Jong" <jjk### [at] mmewhaackr> wrote in message news:3d3f7940@news.povray.org...
> I've got some confusion about the use of the key word "collect off" in
> Photon scene containing glass objects.

<snip>

Hmm, the sample scene does seem odd in that "collect off" is not applied to the
glass object.

In general, glass objects will be photon-targets, in that they will affect
photons, but will have "collect off" so that photons don't show up (or try to
show up) on them. This is because

a) glass doesn't really show photons
b) you can get some odd photon artifacts on glass.

You could view "target" as meaning "influence photons" and "collect on" as
meaning "show photons". IMHO the keyword "target" is slightly misleading.