POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Question - Tip on Photon : collect off for glass & target : Question - Tip on Photon : collect off for glass & target Server Time
4 Sep 2024 22:13:59 EDT (-0400)
   Question - Tip on Photon : collect off for glass & target
From: Jong
Date: 25 Jul 2002 00:06:24
Message: <3d3f7940@news.povray.org>
I've got some confusion about the use of the key word "collect off" in
Photon scene containing glass objects.

The Photon tip in the Help on POV-Ray says "Use collect off in glass
objects. "
However, the "Photon Scene template" does not have the "collect off" key
words in the example.
I have hard time understanding the meaning of the tip for the glass objects.
Any reason for the tip? Is this related to rendering speed or quality?

Would anyone  help me understand the meaning of the Photon tip for the
glass?

Another question:
Does this keyword "collect off" have same effect as the "target 0" ?

Thanks a lot.

Jong

== copy of the POV help file on Photon ==
The keyword "collect off" causes the object to ignore photons. Photons are
neither deposited nor gathered on that object.
Note: Photons will not be shot at an object unless you specify the "target"
keyword. Simply turning refraction on will not suffice.