POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The dark side of the trees (121 kbu) : Re: The dark side of the trees (121 kbu) Server Time
15 Aug 2024 16:24:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The dark side of the trees (121 kbu)
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 23 Jul 2002 14:50:13
Message: <3d3da565@news.povray.org>

news: 3d3d9655@news.povray.org...
> Bill DeWitt wrote:
> >     The only things I can think of is [...]
> > [...] and/or maybe "evilize" the reflected sky somewhat
> > to give more clues (but which also destroys the singular nature of the
> > evil tree).
>
>    I also had the same problems recognizing the "evil part", and my idea
> was the same. Is not that bad idea at all... why only the tree has to have
> an evil side? This idea in fact seems better to me: is the pond who has
the
> power to show the evil side of everything it reflects.

Well, I tend to enjoy the idea that most of the people who see the image
will just see another pretty (or banal) pond-with-tree-with-flowers image
and that a few of them will have the appropriate delayed reaction. Of
course, it could be made more obvious, with Bill's and yours variants, and
these would make great images, perhaps more meaningful. I played with other
ideas as well, like putting a whole city in the reflection, which could be
an alternate version.
Still I like it more subdued. Why ? Because the interesting thing is that
after all it is obvious. The reflection is large, dark, gnarled, spiky and
leafless, right in the middle, and itself quite disturbing (I took the
inspiration from a sycamore tree by Andrew Wyeth like the following one
http://www.gallery-ii.com/images/wyeth_pa-landscape.jpg).
In fact, I should render the image with the normal reflection so that people
could see the difference (perhaps I'll just do that for the "making of").
There should be no need to pump up the evilness. However, most of us will
miss it - I'd miss it too - because we get confused by the pretty and normal
environment. Let's say that it's fortunate that we have such a positive and
optimistic nature :-)

G.

--

http://www.oyonale.com