POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The dark side of the trees (121 kbu) : Re: The dark side of the trees (121 kbu) Server Time
15 Aug 2024 16:30:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The dark side of the trees (121 kbu)
From: Lance Birch
Date: 23 Jul 2002 13:50:32
Message: <3d3d9768@news.povray.org>
Marc Jacquier wrote:

news:
> 3D3D12CC.5D0F2200@gmx.de...
> > Also the waves here are quite high frequency, something also indicating
> strong wind effect.
>
> I don't agree on this point: wavelength depends of the *fetch* i.e. the
> length on which the wind interacts with the water. the wavelength
increases
> with the fetch, so, on small ponds, you only have hi-frequency ripples.
> With this surrounding you may have some turbulence caused by plants, some
> area beeing exposed to breeze while others are sheltered.

Not meaning to pick holes in things, but I'd tend to agree.  I have a lake
behind my house here, and the stronger the wind, the choppier and larger the
waves generally become, and seemingly more consistent overall.  On most days
when the wind is quite soft, there are usually a lot more very small ripples
and turbulent 'patches' where the ripples appear to be non-existent or
moving in the opposite direction to the surrounding area.  It's a very
strange effect and seeing Gilles' image reminded me of it immediately (as I
posted in my original reply).  I often sit outside late at night watching
the ripples under the moon light (nights like tonight, actually).

Lance.

thezone.firewave.com.au
www.firewave.com.au