POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The dark side of the trees (121 kbu) : Re: The dark side of the trees (121 kbu) Server Time
15 Aug 2024 16:29:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The dark side of the trees (121 kbu)
From: Bill DeWitt
Date: 23 Jul 2002 13:15:28
Message: <3d3d8f30@news.povray.org>
While I think this is a wonderful image, and it has many technical and
artistic merits, I hope you don't mind me saying that I think you may have
missed your mark by a little. Certainly it is better than I could have done,
but I think that in one area, an important one, you could have done better.

    The "evilness" of the tree was not apparent to me even on a second and
third look until I read the title.

    My eye is draw up by the black lines of the reflection, up the trunk of
the trees to the middle of the branches. Only on a second look did I see
that something was wrong with the reflection and then I spent a minute
wondering what you did wrong to make such distorted reflections. Only after
I decided that you could not have done that by accident did I re-read the
subject line and then look over your comments to see what you were trying to
do.

    I can't imagine how you could fix it, and it may not be broken enough to
worry about, but I thought you might like to know that although I like the
image in general, for me at least, the effect you seem to be trying for is
not as pronounced as it might be.

    The only things I can think of is to lose the small wind ripples that
make the reflection seem distorted (unfortunately, that would diminish the
realism of the water), and/or maybe "evilize" the reflected sky somewhat to
give more clues (but which also destroys the singular nature of the evil
tree). Both bad ideas really, but I hate to critizise without giving
suggestions.