POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Playing with the Poly-Object : Playing with the Poly-Object Server Time
15 Aug 2024 06:16:34 EDT (-0400)
  Playing with the Poly-Object
From: Thies Heidecke
Date: 22 Jul 2002 19:21:25
Message: <3d3c9375@news.povray.org>
Hi,

As I read through the POV-Documentation about the Poly-Object
I came across the following : 'Polys are, however, seldom used
in scenes due to the fact that they are so difficult to define
and it's far from trivial to get the desired shape with just a
polynomial equation.' So I thought something has to be done to
make it usable again, because it's so versatile and useful if
it does what you want from it :)
Long babbling... now to the Point: I've wrote a Program which
tries to find good poly-parameters to get the desired object.
At First one has to set the Order of the Object.
Then the User has to specify points in 3D (other dimensions are
supported, too ) and their respective function-value. The User
can also weight the different points differently. After that
the program tries to find better and better solutions. If it
finds a better solution it outputs a poly-object and an equal
function (which can be used in isosurfaces e.g.) into a txt-file.

Since I've just finished the program i couldn't play with it much
so this is just an example. If someone is interested i'll explain
more.

Greetings
Thies

P.S.: The Images show a 3rd Order Poly which goes through 11 little
spheres on a big sphere and the center of the sphere.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'polyopt1.jpg' (24 KB) Download 'polyopt2.jpg' (25 KB) Download 'polyopt3.jpg' (24 KB)

Preview of image 'polyopt1.jpg'
polyopt1.jpg

Preview of image 'polyopt2.jpg'
polyopt2.jpg