POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Benchmark_Final (428KB) : Re: Benchmark_Final (428KB) Server Time
15 Aug 2024 06:14:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Benchmark_Final (428KB)
From: Jaap Frank
Date: 22 Jul 2002 11:55:55
Message: <3d3c2b0b$1@news.povray.org>
"Patrick Dugan" <pat### [at] netinsnet> wrote in message
> I really like the image!  A few gripes though (of course.)  The water
> surface looks "off" to me.  It comes across like a partially frozen water,
> The dunes (on the left side) have two straight lines in them.  I guess
that
> is okay but it looks mechanical to me

If you take a look in the Benchmark v 1.02 in  ../scenes/advanced/  (v3.5)
you will see that the credits for the creation of the file must not go to me
but to:
                    Assembled by Christoph Hormann
                    // Contributions by:
                    //    - Ingo Janssen
                    //    - Mick Hazelgrove

They have created this file to test the speed of the machines that do the
real work (crunching numbers) and have put as much new features as
is possible in this file. The actual testing is without Photons and Radio-
sity, but that is already included for future still faster machines.
When I did a small render, I liked the scene and wanted a big render
with all features activated. Boy, you really need a fast machine then!!

About your remarks:

The two strait lines are pure coincidence I think and are not that strait.
About the water I can say that they used 'f_ridged_mf' from the internal
functions once for the normal. The dunes are made from the same
function and this is an 'isosurface' with 'normal' of the same function.
I think you mean that the water surface is too much rounded off. If you
play with this function( I did for mountains), you will find out that you
can change it to a more rough appearance by choosing more higher
frequencies. Maybe if you combine more functions, the looks will be
better, but that slows down the render speed. I suspect that's the
reason that it is kept simple, but that is a assumption from me. If you
want to know you better ask Christoph Hormann.

Thanks for the reaction,

Jaap Frank