POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Visual C : Re: Visual C Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:29:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Visual C
From: Philippe Lhoste
Date: 18 Jul 2002 11:45:35
Message: <3d36e29f@news.povray.org>
"cadman" <REM### [at] povraycouk> wrote:
> > First suggestion (biased): Use the SciTE editor (www.scintilla.org). It
> has
> > the feel (keyboard shortcuts, behavior) of Visual Studio, but it is
small
> > and powerful.
> > It allows to run command line programs and capture their output in a
> > separate window.
>
> Is there a "pov.properties" file for SciTE, or would one have to patch
> scintilla (or SciTE) for it to do the sytax highlighting of POV files?
> Personally, I think POV for Windows is a good enough IDE, but I'm just
> wondering...

I would say "no yet" :-)
Actually, I use currently the C/C++ syntax highlighting (SH) and beside some
quirks, it is quite nice.
To make a PoV specific SH, you have probably to take the above lexer and
tweak it for the PoV syntax. I may make this some day, if no one beats me on
this.
That's a weakness of Scintilla/SciTE, you have to write C++ code and
recompile to add a new lexer, while so other editors allows to just write a
text file... That's also its strength, as it allows powerful lexers (look at
the HTML or Perl lexers...).

To make a pov.properties would be quite simple, more or less "just collect
the keywords". Actually, since I use the C++ lexer, I would put these in the
cpp.properties. pov.properties is for later...

The default PoV IDE isn't so bad, although tastes in editors is a very
personal matter, one can prefer to use a familar environment. It was the
topic of the original message...

--
Philippe Lhoste (Paris -- France)