POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Hi, New to POV-Ray and Concept : Re: Hi, New to POV-Ray and Concept Server Time
4 Sep 2024 22:20:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hi, New to POV-Ray and Concept
From: hughes b
Date: 13 Jul 2002 18:41:23
Message: <3d30ac93@news.povray.org>
"TinCanMan" <Tin### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> > Seriously, some math is important to work with POV-Ray, at least the
very
> > basics and some trigonometry.  And you don't even have to know all
things,
> > you just have to know where to look them up, that's why i suggested a
> > book.
>
> I agree here.  It helps to be uble to understand 3d geometry to work
through
> POV.  I think this is also why it is very important to get a good handle
of
> the POV SDL before trying any 3rd party modeller like Moray.

Just addenduming (?) here.

You also don't need a coloringbook if you have the crayons already. A person
can play plenty with POV-Ray (personal experience) and not go into much
detail about how things work in it.

All that's needed is the list of keywords and the basics about how to fill
in the blanks. Although I must also agree that to grasp the concept beyond
the simplist things a person needs some understanding of how it all works to
build up a technical skill with it. Notice I said technical.

If it were not for my interest in just the "xyz" of computer graphics I'd be
still be nowhere, I think. I almost failed geometry in school. I believe you
can learn a lot by doing. Speaking of the geometry class... I was lost in
that realm of 2D textbook pages where everything was essentially about 3D
instead. Or maybe I was simply lost  ;-)

bob h