POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Late Friday Night Abstract (81kb jpg) : Re: Late Friday Night Abstract (81kb jpg) Server Time
15 Aug 2024 08:19:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Late Friday Night Abstract (81kb jpg)
From: Bill DeWitt
Date: 13 Jul 2002 14:29:21
Message: <3d307181$1@news.povray.org>
"Samuel Benge" <sbe### [at] caltelcom> wrote in message
news:3D3### [at] caltelcom...
> Okay, did a search on 'Dyson Sphere'. If my image were the entrance to
> one, that means the engineers used copper, because it's green.

    No, it has some of the properties of copper, but it's a non-atomic type
material, with string-like nucleus and predetermined linear electron paths.

> Somebody does need to render a Dyson Sphere, though. Maybe a type 1
> (non-rigid), since that is the most likely kind to be created, although
> creating many different orbiting/static habitats can be a little
> difficult. Need to build a good macro for that....

    I've rendered several different forms, including an animation of the
construction phase of a rather simplistic one. Maybe after I finish the wall
paper sized version of your isosurface I'm doing, I will re-run one of
those. Because, of course, I just finished erasing most of my renders last
week to make room on my HD.

    The problem with rendering Dyson spheres is that at the distance needed
to see any significant fraction of the object, all detail is gone.