POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : POV-Ray vs. Lightwave image (16k + 20k) : Re: POV-Ray vs. Lightwave image (16k + 20k) Server Time
15 Aug 2024 14:24:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray vs. Lightwave image (16k + 20k)
From: Erik Noble
Date: 9 Jul 2002 15:20:25
Message: <3d2b3779@news.povray.org>
In article <3d2ae011@news.povray.org>, "TinCanMan" <Tin### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>I had a try at rendering the image based on your source (with numerous
>changes, including converting to the left handed sytem from moray's
>right-handed one). For the lightsource I used an array of point lights
>(12x12) rather than an area light, as I couldn't get smooth photons with an
>area light.  I also changed the materials to use fresnel reflection.  One of
>the most important changes here is the change in the colour definitions for
>the walls.  As you can see, the caustics appear white now where they are
>oversaturated.  As Nathan pointed out, you need to have non-zero components
>(even if minimal) in all three colours:
>Red = rgb <0.88039, 0.10196, 0.10980>
>Blue = rgb <0.18039, 0.23922, 0.87843>
>
>I found an article relating to light and colour a while ago that had stated
>something to the fact that in real-life, pure R G or B colours don't exist,
>they are only theoretical (or something like that, I don't have the link
>anymore at present, but I'm sure it would be easy to find this information
>somewhere again)
>
>Render time 15h 43m 16s
>Oddly enough, with the method I used the photons took virtually no time to
>parse (<1s) yet they look very resonable.
>
>-tgq

As somebody that uses both PovRay and Lightwave, I have to say something.
First of all, to both Paragon and TinCanMan, those are fantastic renders, and
very close to the original.  I've made attempts in the past to duplicat PovRay
images using Lightwave, with varying levels of success.  It's refreshing to
see the challenge in the other direction.

I actually prefer Paragon's original image overall, but the caustics are
closer to the LW version in TinCanMan's version.  The finish on the floating
glass sphere makes it look almost cartoony to me.

*Rarius-
 There's another comparison to keep in mind besides price, namely render time.
I rendered up a passable image in LW in about 10 minutes.  15 hours in
Lightwave is more like an animation instead of a single frame. ;-)