POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : POV-Ray vs. Lightwave image (16k + 20k) : POV-Ray vs. Lightwave image (16k + 20k) Server Time
15 Aug 2024 08:20:02 EDT (-0400)
  POV-Ray vs. Lightwave image (16k + 20k)
From: Paragon
Date: 7 Jul 2002 16:37:53
Message: <3d28a6a1@news.povray.org>
I came across a Lightwave 7 review and it featured a picture to show
Lightwave's caustic capabilities.  The picture is fairly simple so I decided
to try and duplicate it in POV-Ray 3.5 rc6.  The first picture is from
Lightwave (in case it posts in reverse order, the one with the brighter
glass spheres) and the second picture is what I rendered.  The most notable
differences are caustics that appear on the blue wall (I don't know how they
achieved the caustics to appear white) and the subtle highlights and shadows
on the red wall in Lightwave's render (I'm not sure how to get that effect
either).  Oh yeah, and the light on the ceiling in my render does not appear
to be "in the ceiling" (although it is...it shows if I don't render with
radiosity) and the shadows aren't as soft.

-Paragon

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'draft.jpg' (17 KB) Download 'caustics_f_02_lightwave.jpg' (21 KB)

Preview of image 'draft.jpg'
draft.jpg

Preview of image 'caustics_f_02_lightwave.jpg'
caustics_f_02_lightwave.jpg