POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Newbie question concerning media : Re: Newbie question concerning media Server Time
15 Aug 2024 08:25:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Newbie question concerning media
From: Florian Pesth
Date: 5 Jul 2002 08:59:25
Message: <3d25982d@news.povray.org>
> POV
> will only trace through a certain number of levels of passing through
> transparent surfaces or bouncing off reflective surfaces before giving
> up and assuming black. This usually only happens after enough surfaces
Thanks, I should have noticed that. I knew the problem, but was not aware,
that it could ocure in this case, alright.
> The bright media artifacts...it looks like something to do with the fact
> that you are using a sphere_sweep. The solver for that shape can produce
> inaccurate results, especially with cubic_spline.
I thought about that, too. Maybe it depends on the viewing angle and can be
corrected with a small move of the camera. But that could lead to undesired
results, when I want to animate it, hmm...
> Maybe make your own "sphere sweep" with a merge of
> cylinders and spheres, using the spline feature.
Could that be more accurate?
> BTW, your media settings are...odd. I usually use 1 interval and adjust
> samples, POV will generate more intervals if needed. For this, Just copy
and paste ;-). I have to understand, what all these parameters do. For now
this was just a "quick test". If I changed a value, than more by accident.
> something like "intervals 1 samples 5", and I usually ignore variance,
> confidence, and ratio (which only has an effect on scattering media
Thanks, I will have a look at this values.
> anyway, as I recall). I don't know why someone would use 20 intervals
> with 1 sample each with method 3...
I also don't know ;-).
Thanks for the help,
Florian