POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Window-Lighting : Re: Window-Lighting Server Time
4 Sep 2024 22:13:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Window-Lighting
From: bob h
Date: 27 Jun 2002 04:25:59
Message: <3d1acc17@news.povray.org>
"Arthur Flint" <mra### [at] chesapeakenet> wrote in message
news:Xns### [at] 204213191226...

> If you want any shadows cast from those lights in the windows,I would
think
> that you would need to have a light_source inside each window. But if all
> you want to show is that the "light is on" in the house, ambient might be
> enough.

Absolutely. A fade_distance of about a room depth, with fade_power 2, used
in room lights is probably what I'd do if the houses are near enough to see
anything of the yards and interiors. Ambient windows are good for farther
away. A decision that is totally dependant on the amount of detail you want
or what the scene requires.

Radiosity, as Rafal alluded too, might be good with ambient (and diffuse)
windows at some inbetween level but I'm not sure of how that might be, alone
without lights that is. To get the illumination inside and outside that way
might mean overly bright window panes being needed. Maybe opaque, maybe
transparent too. At least some time involved in adjusting the scene setup.

bob h