POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : 46,000 free hours of AOL (111kbbu) : Re: 46,000 free hours of AOL (111kbbu) Server Time
2 Oct 2024 06:24:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 46,000 free hours of AOL (111kbbu)
From: Peter Popov
Date: 11 Aug 2000 10:03:30
Message: <3d18psc87n1mia36d37f1v9bujhf47jls9@4ax.com>
On Fri, 11 Aug 2000 10:57:46 -0500, Richard Morton
<ric### [at] hotmailremovethisbitcom> wrote:

>Just out of interest :

>From my (laymans) limited understanding of quantum theory, the rainbow effects on
>a CD are the most easily seen manifestation of the way that individual light
>particles/waves travel from source to observer via multiple routes at the same
>time (I don't think that the CD example is anything to do with refraction at
>different angles for different parts of the spectrum). No doubt, this would be
>somewhat tricky to model in a raytracer where the general assumption is that one
>ray follows one path, not multiple paths as happens in the real world !

If what you just explained is known as Newtown interference patterns
(the same ones which we soo on oil spots on the road), then POV can at
least fake it using the iridescence property of the finish.

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] usanet