POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : plastic key with radiosity (WIP?) : Re: plastic key with radiosity (WIP?) Server Time
15 Aug 2024 12:21:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: plastic key with radiosity (WIP?)
From: bob h
Date: 18 Jun 2002 23:31:30
Message: <3d0ffb12$1@news.povray.org>
"Apache" <apa### [at] yahoocom> wrote in message

> No lightsource, just a sphere with a very high ambient. I think the
results
> are better than using photons which I tried before but didn't give me the
> results I wanted. And sorry, no soft edges. (yet?)

Something tells me you are working with a relatively slow CPU there. Either
that or you have incredible settings for radiosity, AA, whatever else. The
key is looking pretty good now, maybe more a composite material instead of
plastic?

About the softer edges. Having just done a key too, after seeing yours first
though, you might give a try at the same thing I did. Which was, make a
hf_gray_16 image of the key object having a gradient y color_map going from
rgb 0 to rgb 1 with a focal blurred camera, and use that for a heightfield.
In fact, going about it this way you could add scratches too by overlaying
another partially transparent texture.

Wish I had the ability to edit 16 bit images in a paint program.

Oh yeah, I must comment on the teeth. Checking my keys here they don't ever
cut into that narrower guiding rail part but only into the wider lower one.
Thought I better speak up about that. Still, it's a better key than mine.

bob h