POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Win POV mixed versions single instancing : Re: Win POV mixed versions single instancing Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:20:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Win POV mixed versions single instancing
From: bob h
Date: 16 Jun 2002 21:34:56
Message: <3d0d3cc0@news.povray.org>
Nice try :-) You went about a "fix" in a manner I often use because I too
never program executables. I used to go about changing some things like
that, edit.com or the old Windows Write. I rarely do that anymore.

However, hate to say this after all you said and checked into it, the
#version directive is probably one of the best reasons to forget about
installing, or leaving installed, past versions. I'd be putting words in the
mouths of the POV-Team but they might think of it like this: why have
multiple installs of the same program when said program itself applies
backward compatibility? Yes, I know... not truly so but the idea is still
there.

Your reasoning seems mainly to be that multiple versions can't be ran with
different setups. I guess you could also argue the fact that patches can be
trouble if the system doesn't distinguish between official and unofficial
POV-Rays. Oh yeah, you did infer that already concerning the Beta.

I'll have to side with keeping to a singular version instead, but I see your
point when it comes to parallel patches and/or versions. I'm just willing to
bet that the program wasn't really meant to work in unison with others (and
itself) "out of the box" unless such programs are officially sanctioned,
which has been talked about in the past. In other words, version changes
moves things ahead and leaves the old versions behind. That's pretty common
practice.

bob h