POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Div/Zero and Infinity : Re: Div/Zero and Infinity Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:10:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Div/Zero and Infinity
From: Sir Charles W  Shults III
Date: 16 Jun 2002 12:26:22
Message: <3d0cbc2e$1@news.povray.org>
What about the square root function?  It has two solutions, but only returns
one.  The assumption is that only the positive solution is germane.  There are
(of course) many pedestrian functions that return more than one solution.
    A case can be made for setting division by zero to "infinite"- not a number,
but a state.  Graph it and it is clear.  But we assume that this is not what we
are after and return an error.  In a similar manner, we assume that even powered
roots are positive unless there is some other indication involved.

Cheers!

Chip Shults
My robotics, space and CGI web page - http://home.cfl.rr.com/aichip