POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Div/Zero and Infinity : Re: Div/Zero and Infinity Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:24:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Div/Zero and Infinity
From: Rune
Date: 15 Jun 2002 17:47:14
Message: <3d0bb5e2@news.povray.org>
Jonathan Wooldridge wrote:
> I would like to point out something not usually thought of: What is
> 1/0? I notice that as the denominator approaches zero, the result
> approaches infinity. 1 dividen into millionths results in a million
> pieces. 1 divided into bajillionths results in a bajillion pieces.
>
> The result of dividing 1 by 0 should be infinity.

Not correct.

Consider this:

1 /   infinitesmall  = infinity
1 / (-infinitesmall) = -infinity

But 0 is smaller than infinitesmall and it is neither positive nor
negative.

Thus:

1 / 0 = undefined

The above is based only on my logic, so anybody who have actually
studied this may correct me if I'm wrong.

> As you can see, my humble naming convention fails the
> task already. Any better ideas?

Acknowledging that this is not practically useful for POV-Ray and thus
irrelevant?

Rune
Rune's World:  http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated May 20)
POV-Ray Users: http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk/povrayusers/