POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Pocket Knife on Balcony : Re: Pocket Knife on Balcony Server Time
15 Aug 2024 12:22:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pocket Knife on Balcony
From: Batronyx
Date: 15 Jun 2002 01:10:27
Message: <3d0acc43@news.povray.org>
Oh! Here it is!

> As said this morning I've put my pocket knife in the balcony scene from
> scenes/advanced/balcony that comes with POV-Ray.
>
> This time I used T_Chrome_1C from metals.inc for the blades and the cork
> screw. But unfortunately the ceiling above the table is mostly dark.
> That's why it looks so odd.

I don't think it looks odd. Well the shadows are a bit sharp but we aren't
concerned with those right now eh? :D

> I also think we expect the metallic reflection in a rendering to look
> like the faked chrome surfaces in an airbrush image. There you have
> always nice and interesting reflections that help to recognize the shape
> of the object. But in Real Life (TM) you nearly never have such
> environments. Maybe an animation can show, that's the reflection of the
> blades are o.k.

There is enough reflection for the main blade combined with the lower lighting
angle to show its ok already. This would seem to suggest something as simple as
a couple of boxes with blurred image_maps, strategically placed off camera, to
simulate a more realistic environment, would be enough to break up the 'flat'
appearance in your original scene.

In spite of the funny thing that happened with the corkscrew, I'm liking the
attention to detail you've given to the modeling, even on the backside.

--
light_source{0,1}#macro c(J,a)sphere{0,1pigment{rgb z}scale a translate J+O}
#end#macro B(R,V,O)c(0,4)intersection{c(V,R)difference{c(-z*4x+10)c(-z*4.1x+