POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Starship Enterprise from original series : Re: Starship Enterprise from original series Server Time
15 Aug 2024 12:21:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Starship Enterprise from original series
From: Scott Gammans
Date: 12 Jun 2002 14:38:25
Message: <3d079521$1@news.povray.org>
I actually used a bunch of sources including Alan Sinclair's Public Resource
Enterprise project
(http://bruts_3.tripod.com/public_resource_enterprise/index.html) and my own
extensive photographic analysis of the 11' studio model sitting in the
Smithsonian gift shop.

The hardest part, which I *still* didn't get exactly right, was the command
module (decks 2 & 3 under the bridge). Although it is accurate if you go by
Matt Jeffries' famously inaccurate 3-view originally published in "The
Making of Star Trek", it does not quite match the severe teardrop shape of
the actual shooting model. As far as I'm concerned, that @#$! teardrop shape
is just not possible to replicate without resorting to either a mesh or blob
object. I never bothered to learn Moray, so doing it with a mesh was out,
and frankly I lost interest in trying to get the blob solution to work.
Maybe someone with some time on their hands will proffer a solution. :)

As for more ships, absolutely! I doubt they'll be in POV-Ray, though; I've
started taking a graphic arts course at the local college and as part of
that process I'm learning LightWave 7.5 (heathen! traitor!). If it wasn't
for POV-Ray, though, I never would have taken this hobby up, nor would I be
seriously considering pursuing it as a second career. I still think POV-Ray
is the best freeware raytracer out there and superior to a lot of
NON-freeware renderers, and I'll always be grateful to the POV-Ray team for
giving me the tools that started me down the path I'm on now.

Scott Gammans
Washington, DC