POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Caustic issues : Re: Caustic issues Server Time
15 Aug 2024 20:23:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Caustic issues
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 7 Jun 2002 23:16:02
Message: <3d0176f2@news.povray.org>
"Slime" <slm### [at] slimelandcom> wrote...
> Wow, that's very nice, though the caustics don't appear quite as realistic
> to me in this as they did in the brazil image. I'm sure it's just a matter
> of a slightly different shape of ring, though.

POV's photons look different in this scene because POV is still shooting
photons from a single point.  You can enable POV to shoot photons from the
area light by adding "photons{area_light}" to the light_source definition.

Also, add "gather 0,200" to the photons block in the global settings (to
smooth the splotchiness introduced by the area-light photons).  (This last
part might require the next RC of POV 3.5... it may not work quite right
with the current release.)

-Nathan