POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : absolut failure : Re: absolut failure Server Time
15 Aug 2024 14:13:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: absolut failure
From: Mark Wagner
Date: 7 Jun 2002 00:15:44
Message: <3d003370@news.povray.org>
KalleK wrote in message <3cffab3c$1@news.povray.org>...
>> What are those lines, tho, in the middle of the lathe?
>
>I experienced those lines, too.
>(see "thermometer (glassthingie) 98kbbu" from 1. nov 2000 if you can reach
>back that far, and the conversation, I had with Grimdude)
>They won't get away with sturm, I believe,
>and max_trace_level won't help, too: If you change the texture from glass
>something non-transparent, those lines will stay.

The lines are caused by the fact that the root solver will only run at most
50 iterations before giving up and saying that it's close enough.  Normally,
50 is more than enough, but in some situations, such as what you've got
here, it isn't.  If you zoom in on those lines, you'll find that the surface
there is significantly above or below the surface for the rest of the
bottle.

--
Mark

The Universe is expanding.
The budget for its exploration is shrinking.