POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Caustic issues : Re: Caustic issues Server Time
15 Aug 2024 14:18:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Caustic issues
From: bob h
Date: 6 Jun 2002 17:25:19
Message: <3cffd33f@news.povray.org>
"Oldstench" <tha### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
>     My question is this...The first picture (caustinc_ring_2.jpg)
represents
> a render I did with Brazil to test its caustics, the second picture
> (torus.jpg) is a photon image that I did in MegaPov just trying to get
some
> caustics as a start. But, as you can see..it looks like absolute crap. Why
> is the ring glowing like that, and why are there no caustics in the
familiar
> parabolic shape?

Your images posted reverse order of message text, but not hard to figure
that out.

I got an okay rendering done in the POV-Ray RC5 (beta 3.5), not sure what
happened to you with MegaPOV. I have seen the classic ring as rendered in
MegaPOV doing what you were trying though. Curiously, your attempt looks
more like radiosity, but it could just be a matter of 'count' and 'gather'
settings, possibly even 'ignore_photons' or something else entirely. I
couldn't say.
The attached image used v3.5, not MegaPOV, starting with just the Insert
Menu scene template for photons. Which means I used 'spacing 0.02' at first
is all, and it already did as expected. For this final image it was 0.03,
reflection only, area_light, max_trace_level 9. AA set to 0.01 depth of 5,
took 18m 36s for this 800MHz P3 while I did other things. Note that the AA
on the edges of the ring aren't exactly what I'd call great. Your Brazil
example looks very refined.

bob h

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'reflectinglightring0.jpg' (8 KB)

Preview of image 'reflectinglightring0.jpg'
reflectinglightring0.jpg