POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Using POV for computing environment maps & background cubes : Re: Using POV for computing environment maps & background cubes Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:25:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Using POV for computing environment maps & background cubes
From: Pabs
Date: 5 Jun 2002 23:11:48
Message: <3cfed2f4@news.povray.org>
> This works reasonably well overall, but I'm observing
> some discontinuity along the edges of the top and bottom
> images, where they meet front, right, back and left.
> Looking at the POV source, it seems that the grid
> of rays traced is not centered on the pixel, they are
> on the top-left (or bottom-left) corner.  So, it seems
> that simply shifting these by half a pixel should solve
> the problem:

I believe this was fixed in one of the 3.5 betas
You'd have to check though.

> I'm tinkering with using POV to capture environment
> maps suitable for use in OpenGL.  The basic idea is
> to choose a position in the scene and render six
> pinhole cameras with 90 degree field of view:
> front, right, back, left, top, bottom.

I started an object camera patch (bicubic patches, sphere...) for MegaPOV a
while ago &
the demo images (inc env mappings of the resulting images - using POV not
OpenGL) should still be in povray.binaries.images if you go back far enough
mail me at <pabs3 at zip dot to> if you want the src
I put off finishing it because there was little interest & 3.5 was coming
soon :-)
I plan to do all the objects there is UV mapping for after the 3.5 src is
released

Bye,
Pabs