POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Not enough : Re: Not enough Server Time
15 Aug 2024 14:14:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Not enough
From: Fernando Gonzalez del Cueto
Date: 1 Jun 2002 12:02:18
Message: <3cf8f00a@news.povray.org>
"Hugo" <hua### [at] post3teledk> wrote in message
> It's not bad!  :o)  But since you ask for suggestions:

Thanks Hugo!

> 1) Jaime used far less focal-blur samples, for the sake of render speed,
but
> that adds to the fun.

I was very tired, so before I went to sleep I decided to leave it with a
high setting of focal blur :)

2) You could make the inner spiral more thick and
> round. It's too thin. Actually I know it's not a spiral, but okay!

OK. I'll try to thicken it a bit more, and maybe I'll use torii instead of
cylinders to round them. However, I wanted to give them a "sharp" look, but
maybe you're right.

>3) The
> textured lines on the bolt-sides could be improved by rotating them 90
> degrees and make them dimmer, less regular.

Actually that's kinda accidental! :) The projection of the bump map causes
the sides of the bolts to look like that... However, I didn't dislike it
that much, because it makes them look like "scratched" from the fabrication
process. But I'll fiddle with this, let's see what happens.

4) The bolt texture has a nearly
> invisible normal map, so it's too smooth...

The problem is that when I emphasized the normal map in the top of the
bolts, then the "lateral scratches" looked too strong... But I'll try to fix
it.

5) The specular highlights are
> very strong, suggesting the rest of the surface is almost mirror like,
which
> it is not, at least for these kind of bolts. Maybe raise reflection and
> lower specular. If there's reflection at all?

No :) Today in the morning I began to use a bit reflection and it really
helps a lot.

6) It's green.

I tried to give it the same illumination effect that Jaime's raytracing has,
but I think I fell short of many things, because it doesn't look that good

> So, was there anything here you hadn't thought of?  ;o)
> Good luck with the challanging project.

Thanks Hugo! I'll take into account your suggestions!

Fernando.

PS. BTW, this are the previous "brazilian bolts" posts that I found:
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/21845/
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/21968/

Please be properly seated and firmly hold on to something before opening
Jaime's raytracing!