POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Alien landscape - WIP near completion : Re: Alien landscape - WIP near completion Server Time
15 Aug 2024 14:19:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Alien landscape - WIP near completion
From: Slime
Date: 31 May 2002 14:30:22
Message: <3cf7c13e@news.povray.org>
> I agree about the cracks. They look too deep to be bump mapped. Scaling
them
> down would make them look not so deep and you could get away with the bump
> map easier.

I agree with both of you. I just found that this is partly caused by a
problem with normal accuracy (bug posted to p.b-t, go confirm it for me if
it's really a bug =) ), so I'm using a workaround now and working on
improving the normal. Hopefully it'll be better next time around.

> I also think you need some kinda structure where the green gas is
escaping.
> Something like a small fissure?

Actually, there is, but it just looks like a shadow =) I might work that
into the function of the ground itself rather than using a prism cut out of
the ground, since that obviously looks unrealistic.

> Oh and with all that green gas escaping I think it would be cool if the
> coulds had some green swirled in. Maybe even other colors. It would make
it
> feel more like a different planet to me.

Hmm... actually, the clouds are about 900 units above the smoke (to give you
a sense of scale, the tallest landform is four units large) =) but I'll
consider that.

Thanks both of you =)

 - Slime
[ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]