POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : To POV-Team: Please put "#define fabs fabs" into config.h... : Re: To POV-Team: Please put "#define fabs fabs" into config.h... Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:16:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: To POV-Team: Please put "#define fabs fabs" into config.h...
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 28 May 2002 14:12:38
Message: <3cf3c896@news.povray.org>
In article <3cf3bf56$1@news.povray.org> , "Vadim Sytnikov" <syt### [at] rucom>
wrote:

> Similarly, you would be seeing compiler errors if you wrote, say
>   #define strcpy(s1,s2) memcpy((s1),(s2),strlen(s2)+1)
>   #include <string.h>

Exactly, and that is pretty much what happens with some compiler-library
combinations when trying to compile POV-Ray 3.1 as C++ code because those
libraries switch from macro versions to (demanded by the C++ standard)
function versions of those macros.  Hence a C++ compiler is required for
POV-Ray 3.5 because it avoids all those problems and we can expect function
versions (or at least some version) of all kinds of former frame.h macros, for
example min and max.

> But that would be *your* problems, right? :-) Once again, not all C
> libraries define fabs() as a macro, since often there are more efficient way
> to do the job. And I was talking about those other C libraries.

Well, the POV-Team only guarantees that POV-Ray compiles on our systems with
our configurations.  All adjustments you need to make are your problem.  That
way we avoid the hundreds of emails we would be getting asking for help to
compile POV-Ray from people who never used a C compiler before :-)

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich
e-mail: mac### [at] povrayorg

I am a member of the POV-Ray Team.