POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Flowing particles again! ( 608 kbu ) : Flowing particles again! ( 608 kbu ) Server Time
19 Jul 2024 17:19:58 EDT (-0400)
  Flowing particles again! ( 608 kbu )
From: Rune
Date: 27 May 2002 19:49:06
Message: <3cf2c5f2@news.povray.org>
My particle system has had support for flowing for quite a while (since
March 2001), but it used a rather awkward approach. If the particles
collided with a surface with a velocity higher than a certain threshold
value, they would bounce, and otherwise they would flow. This could
produce acceptable results but the method was not very good, nor easy to
use because the user had to find a fitting threshold value.

Now, based on the feedback in my latest thread in povray.advanced-users,
I have changed my particle system to use a different collision method,
which unifies bouncing and flowing into a single simple model. So far,
it seems to work very well. Here's an animation I made with it. Hope you
like it. :)

(The reason that a few of the particles disappear is that I didn't set
their lifespan to be very high.)

And yes, I know, I should use more and smaller particles... ;)

Rune
Rune's World:  http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated May 20)
POV-Ray Users: http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk/povrayusers/
POV-Ray Ring:  http://webring.povray.co.uk